Tuesday, December 18, 2018

most likely...

... "to succeed" according to your high school yearbook! Not really. You are most likely really tired of reading about the ant crisis that has been going on here for several weeks. Or possibly years of surreptitious reproduction,  just now getting to the point of population explosion, like the billboards that show you household pests like rodents or roaches replicating over generations. A dire warning from pest control companies encouraging you to "nip it in the bud" as Barney Fife enjoyed demanding of those en route to the lock up in Mayberry.

Do you really want an update? No, I did not think you would. I swept the floor in the kitchen again this morning, and decided all the wee little corpses in the dust pan might look more like a spilled jar of instant coffee granules than the shaker of pepper flakes. I've been up on the step-stool twice changing out the little white squares with drops of taste-tempting bait the creatures are supposed to fall in love with.  We thought they were diminishing, then found the sneaky insects attacking from another direction. Now I am wondering if there might be some way to go undercover, slip into the enemy camp and get the general. If we could get their top strategy guy, dispose of the boss, perhaps we could win this battle? Leave them in disarray on the battlefield to beat a hasty retreat, eventually disperse and wander off to RIP?

My new BFF Larry, the bug guy did come back on Monday to spray around the house, when it was a bright sunny day outside perfect for decimating insects. I cautioned him about spraying the lawn, entire yard, as I would prefer to keep beneficials that pollinate, have the food chain remain intact, as long as it does not include me!  I went out briefly to supervise, as he was dragging his hose around the back of the house. When he sprayed along the foundation and then up under the soffit below the roof, he said he would spray around the chimney. I quickly backed up and went in the house, having breathed in enough spray from ammonia over recent weeks to have my sinus completely aired out. I put the ammonia bottle away, and have  not sprayed (though it works amazingly well) since we started putting out the little squares of purported, theoretical 'bait'  they've been enjoying.

I will continue the fight, with optimism, as does any one who puts on their camo. and heads off to war. I recall at some time in the past, in an unremembered location, seeing an entire house wrapped in plastic, that I assumed was being fumigated. Hopefully it won't come to that?

No comments:

Post a Comment