Friday, December 14, 2018

doing the happy dance...

... right here in my own house after a visit by the new, helpful, friendly, informative, responsive, attentive bug man. His name is Larry, and if I did not already have a best friend, I would have asked  him to consider being my BFF. He was most willing to tackle the problem, and spoke with such knowledge and authority I feel he has had experience with similar situations. He was quite chatty as he made his way around the kitchen putting out bait along the wood work and bricks on the back of the fireplace.

I appreciate the fact that he explained stuff, and answered questions and was able to get started right away. With life complications, this ant problem was getting to the point that I thought it might push me over the edge. I told him I knew, was never surprised at seeing bugs in the house (though that episode a couple of years ago of the millipede infestatipn qualifies as bizarre), and knew there would always be roaches, in residence since the dawn of time, other small creepy-crawlies taking  up residenc via invisible orifices. I've been combating roaches for years, putting out boric acid, first as a powder then little white tabs about the size of your thumbnail, for the bugs to enjoy as dessert, only to discover it to be their last meal.

He said the clear stuff in the tube he was dotting along the woodwork, molding, edges of brickwork, was 'bait', something that will attract them to their unwitting demise. They will take it back to the nest, to share with extended family as the spoils of a successful foray into human land. Far be it from me to inform them it is hemlock or foxglove or an antifreeze spill. My new almost-BFF will come back in the afternoon and spray around the outside of the house, saturating mulch and leaves along the foundation to prevent future entry. I cannot tell you how happy I was to write him a check for $150  - best money I have spent in recent memory, as I am convinced my sanity is still intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment