Thursday, August 28, 2014

when I went to work...



...on Sunday, I was prepared to leave the store and drive south. I had loaded up my accoutrements with the intention of driving to Quitman to spend the night. It's a three hour drive, and I got started about an hour later than expected, so was late getting there. And it was really dark out there in the south GA woods. I was so tired when I finally arrived, I don't think I even brushed my teeth before flopping into bed.

I got up on Monday morning and wanted to get some work done in the yard before it got too stinking hot to get any thing accomplished. Between mosquitos, gnats and heat, I knew my tolerance would be fairly low. But the weather was surprisingly moderate - a pleasant day to be out in the world, enjoying fresh air and sunshine. I took my sprayer and the heavy duty agricultural-grade 'mojo' chemical that kills weeds (and probably anything else it comes in contact with), and planned to work for several hours: beating back the overgrown undergrowth and picking up trash that continually falls out of pine trees. It was a productive day, even though nothing really looks any different.

The thing I will say is all those places in the yard where you don't see any tree trash, no limbs lying around, no pinecones scattered everywhere: that's what I did. Looks really nice, but of course, the nature of yard work is that you have to do it again and again and again... over and over and over. I pay a man to keep it mowed, who just does it when it needs doing. But nothing takes the place of someone who cares looking at what needs doing and keeping it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment