Monday, August 18, 2014

we've been hearing....

...about it for months, and it is about to come to fruition. Our church staff, supported by the congregation, is opening a 'satellite'  in Alabama. Not all that far from our building here, but much more convenient for the people who live in Phenix City/Russell County than driving for half an hour to get to events. If you are involved in things that might meet during the week, that adds up to a couple hours of drive time on a regular basis.

So a couple(with kids) who has been on staff for several years, have agreed to head up a new church 'plant' across the river. Next Sunday will be the first time the new facility will be open, and ready for services. We will loose well over one hundred of our regulars who will start attending in the new spot. Live music, and children's programming, but a live 'feed' for sermons to start with.

I have supported missions most of my life. Raised in a church that regularly took up financial assistance to send to foreign mission programs, as well as providing support for workers state-side.
And have even sent my own personal missionary to India, once for three months. Plus took myself to Mexico for a week a couple of years ago, when some Presbyterian friends went to support a start-up church near Cancun. Meeting out doors under a tin roof, in really rustic conditions. But surrounded by locals who were enthusiastic, dedicated, and excited about the future.  While I was anxious the whole time about getting Montezuma's Revenge!

The church I have been attending for over ten years publically reports when the board shares the annual budget report each year, that they tithe ten percent of total income to missions. So I continue to support the 'Go Ye' philosophy. In all these many years of church going and donating, I have never felt I have been a part of 'planting', involved in the making something of nothing which is what this out reach project sounds like to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment