Sunday, October 14, 2018

it's pretty late...

...on Sunday night. I did not expect to be getting to Valdosta at bed time, but really really really did not like the idea of driving three hours down there and another three back in one day, so got started after working nearly ten hours. Had to be on the job at 5a.m., and left there about 4:15, having almost nearly practically worked around the clock. I did stop and go to church this morning, but other than that - a long day.

The produce guys had saved me some boxes, that they flattened, for reassembling with some tape to turn back into cartons when I get started on cleaning out the auntie's carport tomorrow. I wish I had been better organized so I would have all that miscellanea to take the the recycling project on Sat. morning when the city was taking all manner of undesirables to keep contaminants out of the city dump. Lots of pesticides, poisonous stuff, dangerous items that do not need to be casually discarded, put in the trash bin for pick up to end up in the local landfill, eventually going into our drinking water.

I do not want to take it  home and have it sit around in my carport for months before another opportunity to recycle comes around. But holding on to chemicals is preferable to just tossing in the trash. This is, I suppose, why we come equipped with a conscience? To  force us to practice what we preach? Be good stewards even if that is not the easiest solution to the problem of dozens of cans, bins, boxes of contraband compounds.

When I was cleaning out closets a couple of weeks ago, the person who runs the auction business stopped by and wanted to chat. I spent a good bit of time with her, and learned quite a lot about how this thing works. Surprising to hear that she feels like a lot of those items I was boxing up to donate to the thrift store are things she said people would buy at an estate sale. Goes to show how little I know about dissolving a lifetime of accumulated flotsam and jetsam. Some things you might feel are worthless would be highly desirable and other items that you would value seem to be of little worth to anyone else. Sounding like a subset or component of Murphys' Law. Along the lines of 'one man's trash being another man's treasure' and 'beauty/value is in the eye of the beholder'?

No comments:

Post a Comment