Saturday, October 27, 2018

face painting...

... at Botanical Gardens annual Fall Festival. These are your choices....




Every Saturday in October had something going on. I requested to have the day off from my little part time jobette to be volunteering for some non-paying project every weekend. Botanical Gardens the first and last Saturdays of the month, recycling program with Keep Columbus Beautiful one day. That lost weekend in the woods of Harris County working at the retreat for three days.

I've been scrambling all week trying to find some teenagers to help with the face painting event today. I thought helpers were all squared away weeks ago, when I was at a Girl Scout recruitment and saw a group of girls who were painting butterflies and rainbows on attendees. There were dozens of families lined up to enroll youngsters in Scouts, and a number of organized troops doing demonstrations of all the fun the girls do/have when they participate. Got contact info. for the troop leader of the girls who were painting, and thought the labor for today had been arranged.

But when I called her the first of the week to confirm, my plans went awry. No scouts. I began to contact everyone I could think of who had some connection with teenagers, desperate to recruit extra pairs of hands to help. I have no idea who/how many children will be at the event all day today, for the Fall Festival/Plant Sale. I know how antsy little people get when they have to stand and wait, so have some quick, easy designs for them to choose from. But being the only one doing the painting, no matter how simple the designs would be not be a good thing. All those feelers have paid off somewhat, as I have hopes that two helpers will show up this morning. I'm hoping that being a chilly Saturday morning, a fall festival will get off to a slow start, and there will not be a lot of activity early in the day.

Fortunately my commitment is from 8:30 (set up) until 1, when someone else will come and take the second half of the day, with other Scouts showing up to help in the afternoon. I have my fingers and toes crossed that the teenagers who said they would be there to help will actually show up. Allowing me to leave and not devote my entire day to this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment