Tuesday, August 21, 2018

hard to believe..

... and even harder to figure out why, especially when you consider I did it to myself. When I think or talk of doing some highly unpalatable, thoroughly distasteful task I will often preface it by  saying: 'I would rather drop a brick on my toe than...(fill in the blank).' This morning I am sincerely hoping that today won't turn into one of those experiences that are filled with remorse and regret before the day is over!

I have agreed to spend the next four days in a classroom as a substitute teacher. Hard to believe that is happening to the person who makes so many disparaging remarks about the work and finds the idea of  spending the day trapped in a small space with dozens of untethered children highly aggravating. I did it to myself! Obviously in a moment of weakness, when I was taken by surprise.

When I got the call from the administrative assistant at the school were I spent a day in a pre-K classroom the week before,  was driving to Decatur on Thursday afternoon. I told her I did not know what my calendar for the following week looked like and wold have to call back when I could how my part time work schedule was going to be. Meaning I was unprepared to make a commitment. They were looking for someone to work all week, and I knew I had to be at my jobette on Monday. As it turned out, I was apparently the best bet, (or possibly the only choice?) as she called me back on Friday morning and asked if I could take the position.

It will be substitute for an art teacher, in the elementary grades. Hopefully it will be a good experience. I have had enough time to get really anxious about it - so went over to the school yesterday after work to ask for a peek at the lesson plans. That was only semi-helpful, as I woke a dozen times during the night, fretting over what/how to do what the lesson plans indicate as today's assignment. I just have to keep reminding myself I am smarter than they are, and practice the fine art of Being Flexible. Sort of like the








No comments:

Post a Comment