Monday, October 9, 2017

as a result of being...

... the consummate sucker for a bargain, I bought something (or five thousand somethings) off the sale rack at work, thinking it would be worth a try since it was half-price. Yesh, I should have known better... obviously marked down for a reason, right?  And now we know.... do not buy it just because you think it is a bargain, right? As they say in the world of Consumer Protection: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

This one did not require enough cash to have affected my retirement, but still, I readily admit it was a mistake. A shelf-stable box of soup.  Marketing experts can make the packaging so temptingly tasty- looking the unwary shopper can be lured into buying many things of little worth. The box of steaming, delicious-looking butternut soup was disappointing to say the least. I did not read the list of ingredients, but after heating and eating, conclude the product tastes just like the box it was packaged in. Remarkably bland and disappointing. So tasteless, I had to heat up a second bowl and try again, just to be sure it was completely flavorless.

In a way, it would not be unreasonable to shift the blame for the poor quality. I bought it because I have had some wonderfully tasty, delightful butternut soup in the past. Basically due to the daughter who has spoiled me and educated my taste buds. Some years ago, when she was working in a little fern bar, she had occasion to put butternut soup on her menu. It was delicious. Seems like it might have had some unexpected spices in it, like mace or curry? She reportedly put some orange juice in, and more heavy cream than is good for any of us. There might not have been an actual recipe, just a lot of tasting and adjusting as the pot simmered. So it might not ever be reproduced in the manner that made my taste buds so happy, but the thought lingers in my mind.

Which was why I purchased that disappointing box of soup at work several weeks ago. Lesson learned: if you want something wonderful to go in your mouth -return to the source. Hmmm.... it is getting to be fall, the season of hard squashes....

No comments:

Post a Comment