Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Jonah 1:9


One translation is "God will be with you where ever you go". It's the verse I was asked to illustrate for a children's Sunday School class at church. I have not done my little volunteer project in a couple of months - the last one was Paul locked up in jail. Which, if you saw the finished product when reading the blog a couple of months ago, turned out pretty well. You were looking in the window of the Roman prison, between the bars, and saw the little figure of Paul, sitting on the bench reading, being small and lonely.

I got an email over the weekend with the verse, and a request to create some sort of visual aid that would serve to demonstrate and reinforce the verse the children will be  memorizing over this next month. A prime example of how 'if you don't use it, you loose it': my brain was a complete blank and I had no idea for some way to create a poster that would help to make the verse memorable. But the teacher found a little poster on the internet of cartoon cars and trucks - which makes sense. He is with us and can be called upon anywhere at any time.

So after I went to work for four hours today, I took my little bag of scissors, glue, tape and went to church to be creative. There is a lot of paper in big rolls, different colors, suitable for covering bulletin boards that I can use as a background, add figures or details to when using to make some sort of illustration for a particular verse. This one has a landscape with a lake and sail boat, and a road heading up a hill with cars and trucks on it. Mountains and clouds in the background, with an airplane overhead. And the verse underneath for the little people to memorize. Kinda' cheezy, with cartoon'ish vehicles, but something that will be easily understandable and recognizable for children who are instructed to look and practice learning their verse.

No comments:

Post a Comment