Thursday, April 25, 2013

wandering in north GA...



There's a place up in them thar'  hills that I'd heard about, and wanted to see. The first info. last spring was from the local county agent, who was trying to get enough people interested. Her plan was to charter a bus  for a day of sight-seeing. I understand that the sights are well worth seeing in March and early April when literally thousands of daffodil bulbs are blooming out in the natural landscape. That effort last year did not come to fruition, but this lover of spring blooms has kept the embers warm. Really wanted to go: in early March, so I purchased  tickets and laid plans.

But the lingering cold winter winds blew those plans into oblivion.Yet, with tickets in hand, having already committed my funds, I was determined to get there. So we went yesterday, F and I, wandering the two lane roads, twisting and turning through the hills and valleys.Waylaid with a U-turn, pulling over, where we found the 'best boiled peanuts' in  - - - -  County.  (GPS is not what they would have you believe.) It was a beauty-full spring day, pleasant weather, luscious shades of green all over the hills of north Georgia - every tree a different tint, and grass in pastures so remarkably colored, a rich dark green, it looked artificially colored - like stadium turf..

This garden, developed by a man who operated a landscaping company in metro-Atlanta, covers about two-hundred acres, some of it cleared, but much left in the natural state,with gravel paths for access, open to visitors. There was a group tour there when we were, and I can imagine how crowded it could be for special events. Or during the height of daffodil blooming season. In fact - I did imagine, and was lured into turning in my one-day tickets for a season pass that will be good until this time next year.Which is part of the reason I let myself be 'lured', as the daffodils were about ninety-five percent over already. Lots of things were blooming: sweetly smelling, gorgeous beds of pansies were still bright and colorful; huge Viburnum shrubs were covered with showy white snowballs, the fern dell was filled with lacy foliage and unfurling fiddleheads.

 The story of the tickets reminds me of a t rip years ago to the Chattanooga Aquarium. When we went, the lines were for-ever. So we went in a little side door, where someone said you could skip the interminable wait and get  immediately if you had a family membership. Which we bought. So were thereby required to go back and revisit the fishes and fascinating educational exhibits again before the annual membership expired.

I have tickets for two to Gibbs Gardens, good until April 24, 2014.Any time you want to go - let me know?

No comments:

Post a Comment