Wednesday, April 10, 2013

the 495 mile (x 2) round trip

There were actually two trips - which means that I must have driven a thousand miles in the past week - and that is probably a conservative estimate. But I had the opportunity to see lots of folks I am crazy about, in addition to lots of beauty-full spring sights, so I'm thinking it was really good trip x 2. Plus I visited three states - if you count some odd parts of the one I've lived in all my life - as I accidently went places I have never been before and did not actually mean to go when I went.

Starting last Wednesday: I went to FL, just barely, over the line into the panhandle to meet the Ocala crew. We went to Tally for lunch and took turns smooching, nuzzling, tickling, bouncing the fat baby. A quick stroll through the nirvana of plant nurseries, in a drizzle, where I surprised myself by not making a purchase. The tomatoes were tempting, but when I remember how disappointed I was with lack of production from last summer's efforts, I'm still thinking: zinnias and marigolds for me. No, they are not edible, but they are reliable.

Back through south GA, where the wandering part occurred. It was certainly educational: and the lesson learned is that one should not try to navigate in unfamiliar territory with a map from a different area. Meaning I was trying to find my way out of north Florida using a Georgia map. Those country roads I found myself on were So Very Not on the map. It all worked out in the end, and I got back to civilization before dark. I'm the one who has a reputation for saying: 'we're not lost, we just don't know where we are'.

Home on Thursday night, to unload, and re-load and head to Decatur on Friday morning. Just  muddling around, after a short nap, having monster burritos for lunch, then on to TN (if you are counting, state #3). And more muddling/puttering through out the weekend. I'd found hydrangeas, nice sized, good price that I bought and watered for a couple of weeks, to take to TN and plant. It seems there is some sort of magnetic attraction to plant sales, nurseries, garden shops this time of year, so there was more stuff to plant, water, anticipate brightly colored summer blooms. I do try, have the best intentions for Not buying more stuff - but it just jumps in the car with me. Like the little kid who drags home the mangy, dirty, hungry orphaned puppy: 'it followed me home, can I keep it?'

Back through Decatur, and on the road to home, where the neighbors seem to be sneaking in their dirty laundry. I'm certain I emptied all the baskets before I left, and washed, dried, folded, hung up everything in a clean RTU state: so where else could all that stuff have come from?

No comments:

Post a Comment