Saturday, October 30, 2010

Happy pre-spook day...

It really has been a beautiful day in the neighborhood! Perfect fall weather, great to be alive.

I have a little book I try to remember to make a note of things I am thankful for in, on a daily basis: and today it's just mostly Everything!

Volunteered today and Sunday at the Botanical Gardens here in town, over on Weems Road, for the Fall Kids Fest. I did this last year, and enjoyed being the person in charge of Face Painting, so thought that would be fairly easy and amusing to do again this year. I had a pretty good day, painting assorted body parts; mostly little faces, with cheeks about the size of a quarter, so they probably did not get full value for a $1 ticket.

I think we enjoyed ourselves: I know the adults did, especially the ones who really got into the season and came dressed up in costumes. I found out too late that we could get 'bonus points' for coming in seasonal garb, so will probably wear the clown costume, or the graduation gown and mortarboard tomorrow... to get the 'double credit' for volunteer hours.

When we got started this morning at 10:00, it was fairly slow was slow, so between customers, I used the down time to practice on myself. (Though I did not attempt to paint on my own face, as it would have taken forever holding the mirror, and trying to figure out how to do it backwards.) But think I did a pretty good job of decorating my left hand, arm with various and sundry ladybugs, spiders, spiders, etc in keeping with the season of spooks. And when I got hot from sittingonthe porch at my 'station' in the afternoon son, had to peel my long sleeved shirt off, and found a whole new, uncovered space on my scrawny little bicep: so during the next lull, gavemyself a red heart-shape, with a blue banner, that says MOM in yellow. I am quite attractive in the 'works in a tatoo parlor' way, and really do not want to take a bath before I go to church tomorrow.

Do you ever think that those people you notice ahead of you in the check-out line who are covered from their wrist up their arms, across their torso and down to their ankles must work in tatoo shops? Otherwise think about how much cash they have invested in something that is going to look like the fell in a bucket of paint in twenty years. Now we know what they do when they are having a slow day at work. Do you ever think about what they are going to look like in forty years? Do they ever think about what they will look like in forty years? Don't come knocking on my door, telling me you changed your mind, and want to get all that body art removed.....

Fortunately Mine will come off with soap and water....

No comments:

Post a Comment