Saturday, April 7, 2018

not meant to...

... be a disaster, but it did not pan out at all as intended. My boss at work gave me a ticket for a free lunch in the deli. When some deserving deed occurs, the managers can give employees a pass for a sandwich the deli workers make to your specifications. After I got a lunch ticket yesterday, I decided to take it across the store and get a sandwich today. Sadly it did not work as planned.

Wanting a wrap, that would not have all the bread a sub. would have, I asked for the green one. The person who was making sandwiches came close to telling me green was  not an option, but finally found the spinach tortilla to use. Then I asked for chicken, only to discover that chicken was not one of my choices. The only chicken available is the expensive Boars' Head brand, that I would have to pay extra to get: since it was free, it would defeat the point of free to have to pay for the meat, right?

Deli person offered me ham or roast, but I declined. Then she suggested using chicken tenders, but I don't eat fried anything. So I got my chicken wrap without meat. Cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, sweet peppers, bell peppers, but no chicken. Then I thought: 'you should get the chicken on the side, and take the tenders to put on a salad for the man who will eat anything. So I said: "Well, go ahead, and let me have the tenders, but don't put them on the sandwich."

I finally got my wrap, and went through the checkout line to hand over the free ticket. Went over to the cafe area to sit down and eat, expecting half would be adequate for lunch, and save the other half for tomorrow. But planning to take the tenders home and dice up for adding to lettuce at home. Opened the little packet of still warm chicken, only to discover it was not tenders, but wings: boney wings! Back to stand in line to ask the deli clerk about the not-tenders. Only to find that there were  no tenders available: "If you want tenders, you have to wait for them to cook, come back in fifteen  minutes."

Was I going to stand around on my lunch break for a quarter of an hour waiting for the chicken to get done? No. Did I completely forget about the chicken when I finally got ready to leave the store hours later? Yes. Will I go tomorrow and ask for my tenders? Absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment