Thursday, March 22, 2018

it happens to ...

... other people, but has never happened in my many years of being employed in the grocery business. Even though there have been times when I have heard of fellow employees having to work odd hours to satisfy labor needs, I've not been called upon to work a 'split shift'. Until today, when I set my alarm for 4:00 a.m., to be on the job at 5:00. And already back home again, thinking about a nap, and it is shortly past 7:00 a.m.

In an effort to be completely transparent, I readily admit to working for this same employer some years ago when I hoped to be dismissed for the day. In a different department/area of the business where it seemed like there was no possibility of doing the right thing for my manager. So frustrated by the demands of my boss, I actually asked if she wanted to send me home. Making the suggestion myself to avoid spending the rest of the day with her. Knowing she would not agree, because she did not want to stay and work the late shift I had been assigned. Looking back, it is obvious that was not something I was meant to do, and also not worth the aggravation, frustration and stress of thinking I wanted to work full time.

In all truthiness, I must admit that I volunteered to leave today, ready and willing to be sent home and return mid-afternoon. Several people who are normally highly dependable have not been present this week, with legitimate requested time off as paid vacation. All well and good, but resulting in insufficient manpower to accomplish the necessary daily tasks of a business day. Not enough hands to get it all done, while allowing those present to take breaks as required by law.

Leading me to agree to leave after only two hours, and return in the afternoon  to finish out my day. I have four more hours to work, and want to get all the time they will allow. In order to generate a decent paycheck, and have the company reimburse the time invested, so it is a mutual agreement. All negotiated to allow the guy who comes in for afternoon work, until the store closes at ten o'clock to take his lunch break. I believe I can find plenty to do to keep myself busy, and feel I am capable of working without supervision, able to do what needs doing. So my split shift is two hours here, and four hours there, getting remarkably close to the maximum forty for the work week that ends on Friday.

I forgot to put on  my work shoes before I left home at 4:42 this morning, dashing out the door in my air-conditioned clogs, completely unsuitable for wearing all day on  my feets. I was pondering the best way to resolve that crisis of limb extremities: concluded i would just take an early lunch break and run home for shoes that make my feets happy. Then as things evolved, and I offered to be sent home, that problem resolved itself. How convenient! That certainly worked out well...

PS. the nap was excellent. I'm much better prepared for the rest of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment