Friday, December 1, 2017

de-cast-ification...

... might sound like something you are familiar with? It sounds like that other word: declassification.
That government agency tasked with keeping top secret information safe from us who do not need to know. Until it is such 'old news' that no one cares, and so severely redacted as to make no sense, and released for public consumption. But my word is freshly invented, just made up this very day.

It means that the cast has been removed. That newly coined word as well as it's sparkling fresh meaning is just because I said so. The arm protection I had been struggling with for the past three weeks was removed last Wednesday, much to my relief. X-ray pictures were done, and the Dr. said I was healing quite nicely. That's about it for the good news, what I had optimistically hoped for.

I knew he would want me to go to rehab. and still be out of work for weeks to come. And expected that there would still be some stabilizing device to help support that joint, offer protection while it is exercised and strengthened after weeks of inactivity. This new 'splint' appears to be made of a substance similar to play-dough. Comes in large rectangles, about 1/8 of an inch thick, that hardens after being heated. It was shaped/applied to my arm/hand, cooled and became solidified. Secured with Velcro.

My OT person, Rachel gave me exercises that are to be repeated five or more times each day. Return in a week, and display obedience. I really want to get back to work, so plan to be constantly making a fist, or bending at the wrist that is stiff and sore, mostly uncooperative at this juncture. It has not been used in five weeks, so there is little mobility at present, but I am planning to be vastly improved when Rachel sees me next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment