Monday, November 23, 2015

thankfulness...

...is not seasonal event with me. I can always find something that I consider an opportunity to count my blessings. Usually little inconsequential mundane things that we seldom take the time to notice. If you have been reading for a while, you are aware of periodic musings that reflect on some of those things we tend to 'take for granted' until some thing occurs to catch our attention, make us aware.

Today, I wrote in my Little Book of Thankfulness this morning that I am thankful for: hot water heaters and indoor plumbing. I plugged in my little electric space heater that does a super job of warming the bathroom before I have to peel my layers off. And had nearly instant hot water when I started the shower. Surely you can bring to mind any number of places in the world where people do not have hot water on demand. Or potable water at all, walking great distances to a source where the water is not safe to drink, and hauling it daily to use for washing, cooking, drinking, basic necessities. Where in our culture, we have come to expect fresh safe water on demand.

When I got to work, I told my boss abut my Little Book of Thankfulness. Reporting he is in my book: how thankful I am for a manager who is an agreeable, reasonable, pleasant person to work for. He agreed that he has worked under people who could be difficult, demanding and hard to deal with.

This afternoon, I had a phone call. A story about someone who had a relative who got a DUI last night and spent the night in jail. So  in addition to all of the above: I am thankful for young adult daughters who do not drink to excess or much at all, and certainly do not drink and drive. And did not spend the night in jail sobering up - or call me to come and get them out. Also thankful for daughters who do not find themselves employed in places where they are required to take their clothes off to earn a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment