Monday, September 14, 2015

let this be a lesson.....

...to you. Learn from my mistakes. I thought I was too wise? Shrewd? Smart? Clever? Well-informed? Too well-read about gimmicks, traps, sneak-thieves, to fall for a trickster. But I fell, and still paying for being so naive and gullible.

Scam Alert: I was innocently typing away, emailing, blogging, pondering the world through google, and a screen came up on my computer that was alarming. An alert that there was a problem with the windows program. Mistake number uno: I had imported the updated Windows 10, then heard a rumor that it had lots of problems, glitches, weaknesses. I thought I was stuck with a faulty program. And, foolish me, seeking help in my blissful ignorance: called the number listed on the screen.

Ending up with major problems. It all seemed so 'legit'. Like I am sure scammers do. The guys who want to spread pine straw in your yard, or pressure wash your house, or replace your old roof, or have a check they want you to deposit and keep half of it for yourself.

I ended up with taking it to the shop, paying to have virus removed, and a computer I cannot use due to everything having been wiped clean, to get the bad bugs out. I have the attitude that it was useless the way it was when the bad stuff came in, so it can't be any more useless now. Sadly I just need tech support to get it up and running again.

I have the long held theory that God gives everybody gifts. I feel like I know more about what mine aren't than what they are. But I know for sure none of my 'giftings' are related to anything having to do with math or technology, or anything mechanical. I am forced to find other people with such skills, to provide the things I can't manage. Would you take a batch of cookies in exchange for helping me out with re-establishing my computer communications?

No comments:

Post a Comment