Thursday, July 9, 2015

bad word, well applied...

... was said when I was out with my wheelbarrow loading up tree trash. Picking up sticks and limbs that fall from dozens of trees when we have a hard blow. I would like to believe I am pretty conscientious about looking twice before I reach to pick anything up off the ground. With years and years accumulation of leaf mulch, sticks often get buried when the deciduous trees shed in the fall. And it is easy when not being careful to mistake a 'something' for 'something else'.

It did not happen today, the 'mistaking' and accidently reaching for a stick that suddenly moved. But I did say 's#%t' when I looked over and saw that s-word in the patch of ivy.  Out where my little flock of pink plastic flamingos graze. There are some late summer blooming yellow daises, wildflowers that come up in that spot, which is the only reason I have not applied the weed killer I continually spray to keep undergrowth at bay. Apparently a large reptile (at least three feet, so not a youngster) has established residency in the ivy. After I said the s-word several times, I took out my cheesy little old school phone and tried to get a photo. But there is so much stuff on the ground, amongst the dead leaves and green ivy, I am not sure anyone could identify the uninvited guest.

It is actually the first one I have seen in a long time. Maybe because I don't do much work out there in the summer heat, to run up on Mr. No Shoulders. I used to think we didn't see them because there were always cats around. Not that this is reason enough to want to have pets to maintain. There are felines in the neighborhood - I am forever looking out a window and seeing them casually strolling by, establishing ownership, looking confident and proprietary. No, thank you, I'm fine without any.

I was just having a conversation with the guys who do the mow-and-blow earlier this week, asking how frequently they encounter surprises. And saying how I try to be aware, out there in the wooded area, where skinks, spider webs and chiggers await the unwary. I am thankful I did not extend my gloved hand, thinking I would add that 'stick' to the wheelbarrow loaded with branches. And very curious to know just how 'friendly' the experts think this sneaking, sliding, slithering thing is.

No comments:

Post a Comment