Wednesday, February 25, 2015

about that auntie...

... who went to Marietta yesterday. She wants to  move from south GA up to north Atlanta. I told her if she would come to my house, I would drive her up there, where she has a friend she could stay with and meet realtor to look at housing. I have suggested she might be better accommodated with her limitations by moving into some sort of communal situation, that would provide more care if/when she finds she cannot live independently as she does now. She has assorted physical issues, and will, I believe find that she needs some degree of assistance with mobility.

Then there is the family concern about mental problems. With my granddad (her dad) and two of his children being diagnosed with memory issues, I know she is concerned about the future.  But do not know if she has been fully transparent with doctors she deals with as far as being completely truthful and revealing about family history. So the future is uncertain.

 We got up yesterday morning and loaded up for a run to north Atlanta. No one told me to expect snow and icy driving conditions. The temp. was above freezing, so the roads were not actually slick, plus there is a tremendous amount of traffic on the interstate to keep it fairly clear.  It was interesting to discover as we drove north, the white stuff on the ground. I began to see snow just about the time we hit the I285 perimeter. And then noticed the roads had been salted. When we got to the friends' house, the walkway and steps were icy, with melting snow. But we made it safely inside. Had a bit of lunch, and I was back on the road, headed to work by 12:30.

Fortunately, an uneventful trip. I got to work on time, and spent the next five hours feeding strangers. I had not thought of my work quite like that: but now that I do, I have lots of skills that would be applicable if I were to need to search for employment working in a shelter or soup kitchen.  Not sure that would look so desirable on a job application, but there it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment