Friday, November 21, 2014

in total agreement...

...with what I read recently in a book by Simon Sinek. Suggested by daughter, who said she had heard about it at a conference. Talking about how to change the way America runs corporations, and how to develop leaders. I'm probably going to go to jail for quoting from copyrighted material. So go ahead and start looking for a cake recipe that has a file baked in, so you can bring it to me, on visiting day when I am behind bars.

The author noticed that in the Marine Corps training, the troops would go through the chow line before their sergeants. And the officers would be standing by waiting to be sure everyone else got fed first. Therefore, the title of the book is:" Leaders Eat Last".

Here's what really caught my attention, way over on page 119. Mostly because it is the same theory I have been espousing for years, and thankful someone else has finally caught on to what I've been saying. That we all have a limited amount of time here on this planet. Our most valuable and most frequently squandered resource.

     "Given our obsessive need to feel safe among those in our tribe  - our communities and companies - we inherently put a premium value on those who give us their time and energy. Whereas money has relative value ($100 to a college student is a lot, $100 to a millionaire is a little), time and effort have an absolute value.  No matter how rich or poor someone is, or where or when they are born, we all have 24 hours in a day and 365 days in a year. If someone is willing to give us something of which they have a fixed and finite amount, a completely nonredeemable commodity, we perceive great value. If we waste money, we can make more...But we've all had the experience of sitting in a meeting or watching a movie...and thinking to ourselves. "I will never get this time back".
     And it's not just time. Energy we give also matters. If a parent goes to watch their kid's soccer game but only looks up from their mobile device when there is cheering, they may have given their time, but they haven't given their energy. The kid will look over to see the parent's head down most of the game, busy texting or e-mailing the office or something. Regardless of the intentions of that parent, without giving their attention, the time is basically wasted for both parent and child. The same is true in our offices when we talk to someone while reading our emails or sit in a meeting with one eye on our phone... "

I've been telling anyone who will listen that I don't want more stuff  in my life. I already have more things than I want. What I want from people I care about is: time. Spent together, taking a walk, sitting on the couch giggling over funny pet videos on YouTube, sharing good eats. Enjoying that most valuable commodity with people who make me laugh. Your undivided attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment