Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Sam's club shopping...

.. for the coffee drinkers.
I'm sure I have mentioned here how I accidentally became the person who does the weekly shopping at Sam's for Sunday morning coffee supplies. I have a friend, PC, who has accepted the mission of going to Sam's each week to purchase the items requested by the staff. She asked me some months ago if I would be interested in being that person who will specifically go each week to get the goods to have adequate supplies for coffee drinkers.  It has become such a monumental undertaking, the staff decided that there should be a person dedicated to the Sunday morning shopping list .Our congregation obviously has  serious coffee habit, as there is seldom a week when I do not find a 'list' for needed items. Every and anything from Styrofoam cups to little plastic stirrers, and all the stuff in between. I went this afternoon, and by the time I got out of the building, I'd spent $263 and change. That's a whole lotta coffee supplies! And probably equals grocery money for this household for about three months...

My friend and I have had a conversation or two about how these purchases add up. She is often taken aback by the requests on the list she receives from the staff, which also includes various food and drink items. I am amazed at the willingness of the general public to believe that all this is due them, gratis. I think I might have consumed two cups of coffee at church, when I pass through the lobby and stop to make a cup. I only would drink de-caf, and not often. The last time I had a cup before church, probably back in the fall, it was so strong as to be undrinkable. It was so manly, I think it could have walked out of the building under it's own steam, without assistance. 

So I guess I am not much of a coffee connoisseur... hard to believe I came from a person who would get up in the wee hours and start drinking that stuff long before daylight!  I must be a wuss. One of my daughters made the comment, when she made me a cup, and got a sour face in response that: I must really just 'like a little coffee with my milk.' Yes, I guess - the flavored creamer is my favorite part.

I'm just not sure that supplying coffee makings for what amounts to nearly a thousand people on Sunday mornings is my definition of good stewardship. I know the availability of hot drinks can help to make newcomers feel welcome, and possibly opens the door to conversation, in the way that coffee and tea can serve as a 'lubricant.' It beckons the attendees, becomes a sort of early morning social hour, in the way that standing around the water fountain traditionally creates interaction in the work place. And can generate a time of fellowship, mingling, good will. But it seems to me like the people who show up expecting it will be there, available for their consumption are showing up, expecting it to be there: without considering expense. One cup is not much, but hundreds and hundreds and hundreds week after week after week. I'm thinking a 'goodwill' offering might be in order here...

No comments:

Post a Comment