Thursday, April 17, 2014

about that ladder...

...the one that I used when I was trying to clean the leaves off the roof, without actually getting On It, so I would not fall Off It.  I don't know where it came from, or how long it's been around here. I guess since we were painting, or tree climbing/trimming, or trying to get a cat out of a tree (the most fruitless endeavor I can think of off the top of my head!) but certainly since we were trying to get to something that was slightly out of reach.

But in recent years it has been parked just beneath some shelving in the carport. Opened wide with legs askew, a giant letter 'A'. Which tells you that the shelving is six feet off the floor, with the ladder  snuggled up under the lower shelf.  Up high on the west side, on the inner wall, where there are assorted boxes stored. Old tax records, a dusty/musty brief case or two. A box of Styrofoam chunks and silk flowers I take when I go to visit the forefathers at the cemetery. A brass container/cache pot that (was my grandmother's) has an assortment of animal skulls I've come across when walking in the woods.

 And a cat. She sleeps in a box up on the shelf. It has a cushion I purchased years ago that is stuffed with good smelling things/herbs that are supposed to be very appealing to a cats' sense of smell. And they have all slept over time on the pillows about twelve inches square. Often finding more than one in the boxes that lined the shelves, keeping warm and snug in cold weather.  So when the ladder is needed for honey-do projects, you must be certain to return it to the carport before bedtime, so the cat who sleeps up there every night (and occasionally cat-napping during the day) can go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment