Thursday, June 6, 2013

update on millipede invasion...

When I went in the kitchen this morning, before daylight, I had completely forgotten about all the creepy crawlies that I swept up on Wednesday. a.m., so was not prepared for the population explosion that occurred overnight. I'd done a wee bit of buy-spraying, and did not think there would be any, much less dozens scootching around on the tiles when I got up. After forty, I quit trying to count them (most in constant motion - like trying count all the kids on a playground, or chickens in the barnyard), and got the broom and dustpan.

I got most, but realized they could crawl away faster than I could corral, so was willing to settle for 'most'.

I did get the bug spray out again, and gave the baseboards in the pantry another blast, and thought I should give another squirt across the threshold outside the front door. When I opened the door and walked out, turned around to spray, I discovered hundreds and hundreds of the little creeping willies literally surrounding the door facing: across the top, and down both sides. Ick.. They all got squirted, but I don't know if it was a 'productive' event, as I have not checked to see if there are hundreds of little curly-cued deceased millipedes lying out on the stoop.

I continue to be completely baffled as to where a gazillion millipedes could be coming from, unless there were some eggs (?is this how they reproduce?) in the mulch I put out when I replanted the area near the door, under the kitchen windows. As you might think, when they die, get dried out, they are somewhat crunchy. Ick. Where in the world could multiples of millipedes have come from, suddenly appearing in such remarkable quantity? Ick.

No comments:

Post a Comment