Friday, September 28, 2012

i can't esplain anybody else...

My auntie from Valdosta came to visit for a couple of days. I am not even sure any more what the definition of 'couple' is: I thought that 'as a couple' meant two individual items, like people or apples or vases. I had asked her when we finally settled on a time for her to come, to plan on staying a few days. Looking at my calendar for this particular week, I could see nothing of note after I worked on Sunday and Tuesday.  So expected that she would be here longer than 48 hours. She arrived around noon on Wednesday, and now is  gone, headed back to south GA, at 9:03 a.m.

Traffic is so horrendous on our street that I suggested she wait until at least 8:30 to try to get out of the driveway. Between the constant stream of commuters, due to hundreds  of vehicles that pour out from a side road right near our drive, and all the carpools and school buses from about &:15 till 8:)0 it is virtually impossible to pull on to the street for nearly an hour. Traffic is a mess: one of the reasons I wanted to move two years ago. And the mess now includes all the construction trucks going to and from the new middle school that will be practically in our back yard. Plus more workers and delivery trucks for the many more new houses being constructed... arggghhh.

We are on a dead end street, that is one of two outlets for hundreds and hundreds of cars, SUVs and trucks that come and go all day and all night. In a house on the crest of a hill that allows speeding vehicles to sneak up at a high rate of speed from either direction. Making you think: 'hmmm, well, all-righty-then, maybe I will just stay right here, close the blinds, lock the doors, turn out the lights and be safe in my little cocoon.'

Anyway: she is (hopefully) on her way home... seemed baffled by some relatively simple driving directions (including a hand-drawn, not-to-scale map), so I hope she will get safely on her way after a stop for gas.  

We went up to Harris County yesterday, and toured FDR Park and Callaway Gardens. Now that schools are running, vacations are over, everyone's gone back to the Real World, we practically had both the Park and Gardens to ourselves. Pretty day, pleasant temperatures, clear blue skies, a nice day to be out in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment